Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Superhero Capes


I made six superhero capes in one day!  Thank you, serger!

I was only going to make one superhero cape for Henry. It would be a great 3rd birthday present!  If Henry has one, Alfie will want one. Charlie should have one too. The girls will each want one.  Next thing you know, I had six capes done.

I used some old royal blue polyester. This stuff was given to me and it's probably from the 70s. But it's bright and keeps it's shape, so it was just fine for a quick party cape. I used up my leftover cheap red fake velour stuff for the outer side of the capes. It's too flimsy on it's own so the two fabrics were a great pair! 

I decided to applique a  superhero emblem on each cape.  I cut them out and ironed them on with fusable interfacing, then topstitched along the edges.  This ended up being very important since every cape was a different length. Alfie had the smallest cape and Gracie had the longest. We'll need to tell them all apart! 

Since I didn't have a pattern, I just freehanded the cape shape.  I tried to make it shoulder width across the top and taper out to the bottom. I made the neck in backward bib fashion and used velco as the fastener.  I wanted velcro so that it will pop off if the cape gets stuck at the top of the slide or something, I don't want the kids to choke!

I serged around the outside edges and have the seams on the outside. No turning! Much easier and the kids really didn't care. With the serger, I can get away with finished edges on the outside from time to time, and this is one of those times. 

The birthday turned into a superhero party since every kid had a cape. They all loved the capes!  It was so much fun to see them all in their capes running and "flying" around saving the world from imaginary villains.


No comments:

Post a Comment