Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sandwich and Snack Bags

More sandwich bags!

Yesterday we went to the park and tested our new polka-dot lunch baggies with a little picnic. They were great!

After I got the kids to bed, I made eight smaller snack sized reusable bags.  They are cute! And handy to have.  One thing I noticed about the reusable bags is something I hadn't thought of at all - and it's a huge perk!

The kids can reseal the bags all by themselves!  As opposed to ziplock baggies. This is super awesome!

These eight baggies are destined for my daughters' school's Little Farmers' Market. The kids sell things (usually cookies, garden vegetables, and little crafts). They keep half of their profits and donate half to their classroom.  The school they attend encourages green living, so they are very appropriate for the Little Farmers' Market.

I think I'll buy some plain white PUL (polyurethane laminate fabric) and make some lined sandwich bags next. It will be fun to have lots of different prints and colors. Also, I have some Star Wars fabric that would be fun to turn into sandwich bags for my daughter's lunchbox!

A little tip with making these lunch bags:  I think using a plastic zipper is best. I have mostly used metal zippers because I am recycling my zipper supply.  I went to a fabric and notions garage sale one day and it was actually more of an estate sale; I asked if there were any zippers because I can always use a few and the lady running the sale said "wait here". She was back in a minute with an armload of zippers!  Almost all were metal and a lot of them were taken from garments, or had been used in some way. I washed them all and tested each one to make sure it worked (after I got home and untangled the huge wad of zippers).  That was three years ago and I'm still well stocked with metal zippers.

Besides, I broke two needles on my sewing machine putting in the metal zippers!

I hope the metal zippers do not pose a problem with the sandwich baggies. I'll buy some more plastic zippers soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment