Thursday, January 29, 2015

Grandma Gifts: Lap Quilt and Pillow

I made a throw pillow for my mom out of white minky. I embroidered "Grandma" in the center and then embroidered all of her grandkids and great grandkids names on it. Not all 13 names are my kids, some are my neices and nephews, but they are all her grandchildren.

I had a lot of help embroidering the grandkids names. My six year old chose all the colors, fonts and typed the names into the embroidery machine. She loved helping! It was pretty fun to do this project together.




Can you believe it? I didn't take a picture of the finished pillow before I mailed it. 

I also made a lap quilt for my Grandma. My intent was that this would be a Christmas gift, but we had one little guy who wasn't born before Christmas, so it became a January gift. 

I used some shirting fabric that I thought was a nice light color for the main panel. I wanted the embroidery to stand out and not get lost on a bright color. Turns out, it's hard to see anyway. I should have gone with a larger font, but the list was long and I was afraid it would be a mile long if I enlarged the printing. 

It says "Great Grandma's Favorite Days" and then lists each day that she became a grandma, great grandma, and great great grandma.  I did not list the years, just the month and day. She has 17 dates listed on her quilt and she knew exactly what the list was and who had a birthday on each date. She has a great memory for birthdays! 

I made 9 patch blocks and used some colorful prints and put it all together. The back is a turquoise minky. I did add a light layer of batting in the middle; that's all it needed with that warm minky backing.  It turned out to be much brighter than I had imagined, but that's fine. It looks happy!


Both Grandmas seem to enjoy their gifts! I sure had fun making them!

2 comments:

  1. Ggma and I both love the quilt and pillow. We show them off every time someone visits. I took pics and posted on facebook. Some lettering doesn't show up in the pics, but it does on the item. And we know who they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like them! I missed the picture of the pillow, I will go look on your facebook page and find it.

    ReplyDelete