Sunday, December 1, 2013

Waitress Apron


My daughter recently got a new job waiting tables at an Italian restaurant.  After a couple of shifts, I asked her how it was going and she said, "Oh yeah. Can I have $30?"  What on earth for?  "I need to buy an apron."

Seriously, child? Do you not know who your mother is? I told her to watch the kids for an hour and I'd make one for her.

The apron needed to meet specs. It had to be black, durable, no glitter, no flare, three large pockets and then she held up her hands and said "this big".  She also said "don't forget the ties".  Ok, got it.

I used black twill, or whatever it is called, sort of a denim type fabric. It was 9.99 per yard and I used half a yard. I used one piece of black for the apron, making the bottom layer 18"w x12h" and folded the top layer over to make a 9" high pocket.

I turned over the edge and hemmed the pocket, then sewed lines to separate the pocket layer into thirds. Then I made a bias tape for the ties. I stitched up the sides then finished them with bias tape and added the ties to the waist.

After I finished, I enjoyed the rest of my sewing hour in peace and quiet.  Ahhh, I think I'll tell her that my next project will take two hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment