Saturday, November 30, 2013

Toy Potholders and Ovenmitts

My grandson loves to play "chef".  He cooks for his mommy and daddy every day, and part of his play is to wear mommy's oven mitts and use her pot holders.  Santa is bringing him a play kitchen set and some toy foods and dishes.  Grandma is making him some toy potholders!

I cut 5"x5" squares for the hotpads and used the oven mitt pattern from the label on my package of Insul-Brite.  The mitt is small, but I folded it down so that it is even smaller.  (I did not use Insul-Brite in the potholders since he won't actually be handling anything hot)


I quilted the potholders and mitts with fleece. I had some plain blue fleece left over from a project that I made a couple of years ago. I bought the wrong color fleece and this was my "mistake" purchase. I haven't had anything in mind for it in the last two years, so it's perfect to use to pad the potholders. Not too thick, but soft and provides the right feel.

After quilting the pieces, only one more step! Adding the bias tape to the edges. And, here we have my weakness... I really need to get better at doing this!  With all the practice I'm going to get with this pile of potholders (I cut out more!)  I am going to be a pro before I finish them all.

I used the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker to make yards and yards of custom bias tape. Awesome little machine! I just had to try it out before Christmas! I'm not using the machine until everyone is fast asleep for the night so that nobody knows I'm playing with my Christmas present before Christmas. Sneaky, aren't I?

I decided the little kitchen set needed an apron. Yes, an apron!

As you can see, I'm having a great time making the kitchen sets and I'm using a variety of colorful fabrics. I'm going to give one set to my grandson for Christmas, one set to my other grandson's daycare, and one set is going to be a birthday gift for a three-year-old friend. The others will find homes soon, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment