Saturday, January 4, 2014

Microfiber Burp Cloths

My 7 year old daughter is sewing this project.  She has to do a community service project for school, anything she chooses. She decided to sew baby burp cloths and donate them to Operation Shower.

My 5 year old daughter is also doing a community service project at school. Her class is all bringing baby gifts to send to Operation Shower. Since that donation is already set up, I guided my 7 year old to donate her baby items to the kindergarten class for their project.

Double whammy!  One daughter makes them and they both donate them. We're combining efforts!

Operation Shower is a program that gives baby gifts to expectant military moms whose husbands are deployed. My oldest daughter went through both of her pregnancies with her husband deployed. She was super lucky and he returned just before the babies were born both times! She didn't know about Operation Shower then, but we all know how much a little gift can cheer up any pregnant mom.

I purchased a pack of microfiber cleaning cloths at Sam's Club. There were 30 rags in the package for $15. I told her to make 12, that's a good number.

Gracie cut them all in half and serged the cut edges.She was enjoying serging the edges until she touched the presser foot with her finger and then she was nervous. It was hard for her to keep it straight, but she did a wonderful job and I didn't trim and redo any of her cloths.

I did finish the edges on the other 58 cloths so that they weren't left to fray and leave microfiber fuzz all over the place.  Plus, after Gracie finishes her burp rags, maybe I'll make some to donate too.

Next, she decorated each of the cloths with a little applique and/or a ribbon.  Just some trim to make them cute.

This project was great!  Not only did my daughter make some adorable gifts, but she was able to do it for a good cause.  We had a great time sewing together and teaching my daughters to sew is something very fun for me. My oldest is proud of her little sisters for cheering up military moms who are in the same situation she was in not long ago.  And the sewing project was easy and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment