Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Baby Carrier

My daughter, Katie, made her own baby carrier. She's been using it often. Baby Hank is very comfy and she says it is easy and comfortable to wear. Awesome!

Katie made her carrier out of a beach bag and an old sheet. She held the beach bag up to the baby to measure the seat and then she made the straps as long as the sheets were. No measuring in inches or any standard measuring unit, she eyeballed it and just went with what looked just about right.

For winging it, she made an awesome carrier!



Katie and little Hank came to visit and she forgot to take her carrier home with her. Ah ha! I have a pattern!  Unlike Katie, I'm not so great at just eyeballing things and winging it. I like to have measurements or at least some idea of what I'm doing. I measured her carrier and figured out how she attached the straps, in which direction each strap came off the seat, etc. And then I went searching through the house for supplies.

I found one of my husband's favorite lined flannel shirts, which is old, faded and too small, plus the lining shrunk funny and it's crooked inside the shirt. It'll do nicely! My husband might not think it's a good idea, but he will get over it sooner or later.


I cut the back of the shirt for the carrier seat. I made it 18.5 x 20". I decided to take one of the front pockets and place it in the upper center of the seat just for fun.


For the straps, I dug into my stash. I was hoping to find some light denim or something that I could use. I was afraid I'd have to go to the fabric store for a couple of yards of coordinating strap fabric. Luckily, I found 2 yards of something I've had forever. I can't remember when or why I bought it. It is a heavier broadcloth with a ticking pattern. It isn't heavy enough to be considered ticking though, nor is it denim, but it was in the stash and it was going to match up enough. Stipes and plaid? Ohhh, yeah, baby!

I serged around the edges of the seat and the pocket to keep the quilted flannel nice and neat. Then I sewed the pocket on just along its edges. I added some length to the straps; Katie's straps were 80" and I made mine 100".  I cut out three pieces of 9" x100" of the stripes. I ironed the folds and sewed the long straps on.

My three year old wanted to help sew. Never too young to learn a great hobby!


Katie used a beach tote for her carrier so the top edge of her carrier seat was already finished. I wish I would have thought of that before I put the straps on, but I didn't have that kind of foresight today. I realized it after the straps were on. I made a piece of bias and a long belt-loop and sewed those across the top of the carrier. It would have been nice to have the top bias tucked under the straps but I think it's ok just butted up to each other since this is an experimental project.  The loop is for toys or a pacifier or whatever the baby wants to bring along. My kids are famous for dropping stuff and I usually groan because I don't want to pick it up.  



In less than half a day, I was done! This included inspiration, gathering supplies, cutting and sewing! Amazing!


To test it, I had to stick my little helper in and give her a ride.  But then, I thought I'd really test those seams and that old fabric. I put my 53 pound 6 year old in the carrier and gave her a ride on my back too. It was amazingly comfortable!  She was comfortable too, although she was nervous at first. I didn't leave her in it long, just long enough to gallop around the house like a horse for a bit and step outside and take a picture in decent light.


I think little Hank will enjoy it and Katie might like having a spare. I enjoyed a sewing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment