Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Monster Blanket

I made two "Monster Blankies". I saw the cutest panel for a baby quilt at the quilt fabric shop in old town and I just had to have it!

The panel already has a quilt printed on it, this promised to be easy-peezy! The preprinted blocks were the alphabet letters in monster style. Cute baby pastel colored monster letters! Too adorable to leave in the store! They only had two yards left and none in the bright colors meant for a boy quilt. I went home with the remaining monsters.  I had to pair it with something for the back and I thought something soft and snuggly would be best. Off to Hobby Lobby  for something soft. I found a  hot pink with white polka dot minky. It feels so soft it makes me want to snuggle!  They didn't have any satin blanket binding that matched, so we went to Joann Fabrics.  They didn't have it either.  Walmart, and our last hope, they had hot pink! Score! Grabbed all they had (3 packages, hope that's enough).

I put some batting in between and the little monster blanket was nice and cushiony soft. The edges of the panel were printed right up to the edges of the fabric, which made adding the binding a little tricky. I had to fold the binding all in half and iron it so that it became 1" rather than 2" binding. That's a lot of ironing.

I quilted all around each monster block to hold the layers together. That was fun because I spent so much time looking at each adorable monster. I really enjoyed this fabric!  Then I added the satin binding. I really do not know what I'm doing exactly, and it shows in the corners. Binding is the hardest part and so many people make it look so easy. Someday I will master this, but for now I just have to hope the babies who receive these blankets don't look at the corners too closely. 

One blanket is for Gracie's teacher. She is having a baby girl in November and I think monsters and hot pink polka dots are going to fit her style just fine. She has a fun personality.  The other blanket will be for Katie if she has a girl, or for the neighbor across the street who is also having a girl. If Katie is having a baby girl (we find out soon) then I'll make another blanket for the neighbor, but I don't know if the store has more monster fabric or not. I should go back and find out. I am waiting to hear if Katie is having a girl or boy. Maybe the store will have the bright boy panel, and maybe I'll need that one. I'm dying to find out! In the meantime, I have one girl blanket ready for the neighbor or Katie. 

Minky fabric isn't cheap and neither was the monster fabric. I wish sewing was a good way to save money, surprisingly, it isn't. But, I love doing it!

I am so happy that I made this blanket for Gracie's teacher, Ms. Andria. I could tell by the look on her face that she loved it. Hope her little baby does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment