Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Color-Blocked Tshirt Dress

Gracie's cute little red-headed friend just turned 5 and had her birthday party. The night before the party, my brain kicks into gear and I realized that I totally forgot to get a gift!  Actually, I have a purple princess sundress cut out in her size and was just going to sew that together for her, but I forgot that I did that too. Forgetting can be disastrous, but in this case it was just an opportunity to get creative and fast.

Recently, I bought some cheap Tshirts at Walmart, some were on clearance and some were just cheap Tshirts from the boy section. I looked through my Tshirt stash and decided to make the birthday girl a dress to play in. I chose a black Tshirt and a bright lime green one. They looked loud and happy together.




I cut the black Tshirt up the sides and gave it an A-line dress shape, then cut sleeves from the lime green.  I cut four strips off the green to be used as a ruffled skirt and sewed it all up on the serger. The serger is complicated to thread and I had white thread in it, so I made a lazy but time saving decision to make this dress with white thread. There won't be any doubt that it is handmade and not from the store!



I don't know if I like the end product. It looked too big even though I cut it down to a size 4.  I feel like the ruffles could have been spaced better and the colors suddenly looked awful by the time I was done. My husband said he loved it and he suggested that maybe I didn't like it because I don't like that color of green. He's right, I don't like this green color one bit. But, it matched and it might look pretty good with her strawberry locks.



When the birthday girl opened her gift, she loved it! I was so glad that she did. I still don't love it, but I'm not going to wear it so my opinion shouldn't really matter. Hopefully it will fit and she can run and play and get dirty in a fun and comfy Tshirt dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment