Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Long Swim Trunks

I looked and looked and looked online, but couldn't find any swim trunks that have full leg coverage. There must be boys that have sensitive skin or just want long pair of swim pants, aren't there? Guess I found a niche market that isn't being served.

That's ok. I have a sewing machine and I know how to use it!

I bought two pair of men's swim trunks (because the fabric is cheaper this way and the variety of fabric is more plentiful) and cut them down to size. I also cut out the mesh panties, or underwear as men say. Then I stitched them up like a little pair of pants, added elastic to the inside of the waist where there was once a drawstring. I attached the decorative waist piece and had a wonderful pair of little swim trunk pants! Perfect!

I ended up cutting the back pocket because of where it lies on the trunks, it was in the way. No problem, it just became a smaller back pocket and the raw edges were sewn into the center seam. Not all pockets go right to the middle of the pant, but I'm not going for perfection here, just improvising and the pocket isn't all that noticeable after all. Funny, it's still perfectly useable!  

I think one pair turned out great, and the other pair looks like clown pants. The striped fabric didn't look as good in the small size. Oh well, those will be the back yard run through the sprinklers and get muddy swim trunks.



Ta Da! Swim Trunk Pants!

I'm so happy that I was able to sew something for my grandson to meet his special needs without compromising his fun and he still looks a lot like all the other little boys at the splash pad. Lookout, world, we're going to have a fun summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment