Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Super Baby Cape

We were invited to a birthday party for Ian and Alina, cute twin babies turning one year old.  I am currently challenged as far as shopping goes (I haven't figured out how to hop a mile through the aisles of Target on crutches). So, I turned to my trusty sewing machine and my pile of fabric and hoped something quick, easy and thoughtful would happen.

It did.

I remembered that a few months ago, the mommy of these adorable twins sent me a photo of a kid wearing a superhero cape and she mentioned that it was cute and something I could sew. I really didn't give it much thought at the time. But, now the idea resurfaced.

I just pretended that I knew what I was doing. It's amazing how often that works. I used my scissors and just cut out a large bib shape of red velveteen type stuff (leftover from the Captain Hook Halloween costume) and the same shape from some glitter infused red poly-satin. Then I cut out an I and an A from a scrap of blue. Also, cut out two white circles. Using fusing to stiffen the circles and initials, I appliqued them to the outer part of the cape.

Then, I sewed the liner and outer cape together, flipped them inside out and topstitched. After that, I searched frantically for velcro.

No luck. No velcro!

Snap tape to the rescue!  It isn't ideal for this project, but with the birthday party only minutes away, it would have to do.

There you have it.  Happy Birthday, Superbabies!  Faster than a loaded diaper, it's Super Alina and Super Ian to the rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment